Sunday 16 June 2013

A little help from Jillian Harris...

I need to start this DIY post with my original inspiration. A designer friend of mine is also part of the DIY movement and has taken her career to the next level. Her blog is full of inspiration and she is pretty neat too ;)

Below is a picture from her website, of a reclaimed desk she did. This desk (including the staging around it) is so adorable. As if you wouldn't want to grab your cup of coffee, turn on your stylish Mac computer (it's on my wish list)  and blog away!



The image of this desk was in the back of my mind and I was dying to recreate something similar. The DIY gods must have heard me because check out what my husband and I stumbled upon in the back alley one sunny afternoon...


The first thing I had to do was fix that dang hole (thanks to it's previous life as a sewing table--I think). Thankfully my husband was in the midst of carpentry school and eager to help out! He fashioned a lovely top to cover the hole for me!

I then  faced the task of choosing a color. Now, girly, single Jill would have chosen to paint it a shade of white (I LOVE white). But, knowing that this desk was going in a high traffic area of our home, and knowing that my husband was getting tired of all of the white 'stuff', I knew I had to go in a different direction! (enter inspirational rug)


A few lovely, world travelling family members gifted us this rug for our wedding--I believe it's from Turkey. I wanted to give it some justice in our home and so it became the inspiration for our desk. With the help of my sister (the paint expert) I chose a blue color to match the desk. I took it a bit further and chose to paint the wall behind the desk the terracotta -ish color that you see in the rug.

 

My apologies for not being able to see the color of the desk--I obviously need some photog skills. I have to admit, I was pretty happy with the end result. Mostly because I forced myself out of my comfort zone and tried something new with color. My husband appreciated it as well.

That being said, another desk has come into my ownership and I have 'girly' plans for it in our new home. Stay tuned!



--Jill


No comments:

Post a Comment